We believe that there’s nothing quite like the sheer joy and energy of shag dancers getting together! As event organisers, we know we have a responsibility to keep that wonderful atmosphere going. So below we’ve set out our guidelines for ensuring everyone has the best time possible. It’s not too complicated: be excellent to each other!
Some guidelines for Guests
- Dance etiquette. This Dancefloor Etiquette Guide from Swing Patrol is a fantastic reminder on how to treat your fellow dancers with respect and good manners. We agree with all of it. For a dance as energetic as shag, we think it’s particularly important to remind everyone it’s ok to politely say ‘no’ to a dance invitation – everyone will need a break at some point.
- Personal hygiene. We’re going to be dancing shag in summer, so think about it! Sweat happens, as all shag dancers know. It’s nothing to be ashamed of but it can make dancing with another person unpleasant. The excellent folks at Shag Pile have shared some practical tips on Moisture Management that’s well worth a read. Keeping yourself fresh may take a little extra effort but it means you’ll get more dances in the long run.
- Alcohol. Contrary to popular opinion, alcohol does not make you a better dancer past a certain point. Enjoy yourselves responsibly please. If you become too intoxicated to dance safely, you may be asked to sit out and recover for a while, or even leave early if you’re really, really drunk (we will make sure you can get home safely if this happens).
Our commitments as Organisers
- If you have any problems or concerns about anything at all during the Fiesta, you can talk to an organiser or volunteer and we will do our best to help you.
- We will not tolerate any behaviour that is criminal, hateful or otherwise actively infringing on other people’s enjoyment of the Fiesta.
- We will do our best to resolve things calmly if someone behaves inappropriately. In most cases, a private conversation and apology should be sufficient. However, in the case of serious or repeat offences:
- We reserve the right to eject anyone from our event without a refund if we judge it to be the best course of action.